By Peace Udugba
Fusengbuwa Ruling House seeks Abiodun’s intervention as rival factions clash over leadership and Awujale succession.
The Fusengbuwa Ruling House of Ijebu-Ode has petitioned Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, over what it described as the alleged unlawful activities of a breakaway group within the ruling house amid the prolonged dispute over the vacant stool of the Awujale and Paramount Ruler of Ijebuland.
In the petition dated August 15, 2026, and received at the Governor’s Office in Abeokuta on August 17, the ruling house accused the former secretary of one of its units, Adeleke Adeyemi, and his associates of convening unauthorised meetings, establishing a parallel structure and undermining the recognised leadership of the family.
The petition, sighted by Eagle 102.5 FM, Ilese-Ijebu, was signed by the Chairman of the ruling house, Otunba Abdul Lateef Adebayo Owoyemi; Deputy Chairman, Otunba Dokun Ajidagba; Vice Chairman, Prof. Fassy Adetokunboh Yusuf; and General Secretary, Pastor Prince I. Bola Salami.
It was also copied to the Ogun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice; Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs; Secretary to the State Government; Chairman of Ijebu-Ode Local Government; and Chairman of the Awujale Afobajes Council.
The ruling house alleged that Adeyemi had been organising meetings in the name of the Otunba Oladokun Ajidagba unit despite existing unification arrangements within the Fusengbuwa Ruling House.
It further accused Adeyemi of working with Ridwan Oduneye and others to constitute a purported fact-finding committee which, according to the petition, was aimed at discrediting members of the recognised leadership and disrupting the process for selecting the next Awujale.
The family described the alleged activities as “anti-family” and urged Governor Abiodun not to recognise or engage with what it called an “illegal and lawless group.”
The ruling house said the government had previously encouraged the three units within the Fusengbuwa Ruling House to unify and work together in selecting candidates for the vacant stool.
It maintained that the recognised leadership had already completed the nomination process and forwarded the names through the appropriate channels, arguing that attempts to reopen or overturn the process could further deepen the crisis.
The petition also responded to earlier allegations concerning the January nomination exercise, including claims made on behalf of Fuji musician, Alhaji Wasiu Ayinde Marshal, popularly known as KWAM1, who had complained about his alleged exclusion from the process.
The ruling house rejected the allegations of disenfranchisement, insisting that those excluded from the nomination venue were not unlawfully denied their rights.
It specifically disputed claims concerning Ridwan Oduneye, alleging that he and his father had previously admitted to visiting KWAM1’s residence to sign a Fusengbuwa Ruling House membership form for the musician to contest for the vacant stool, a move the family said it rejected.
The ruling house further attributed the exclusion of some persons from the nomination venue to the limited capacity of Bisrod Hall, where the exercise was held, as well as what it described as the conduct of some individuals.
It urged Governor Abiodun to allow its recognised organs to continue with the succession process in accordance with the relevant law and customary procedures.
The family also appealed to the governor to direct the Afobajes to return to their assigned responsibilities and allow the traditional selection process to proceed without interference.
Rival Faction Emerges
The latest petition came after the emergence of a group led by Adeyemi and Oduneye, which laid competing claims to the leadership of the family.
The group allegedly constituted a nine-member fact-finding committee that presented a report accusing the Olori Ebi, Otunba Owoyemi; Vice Olori Ebi, Prof. Fassy Yusuf; and Deputy Chairman, Otunba Dokun Ajidagba, of financial inducement, document manipulation and other irregularities in the handling of the Awujale nomination process.
The report was presented by the faction led by Adeyemi, who was himself a contestant for the vacant Awujale stool and secretary of the defunct Otunba Ajidagba unit.
The faction thereafter purportedly announced the removal of the three leaders at a meeting held at the Agunsebi Family House and named Adeyemi as interim secretary.
However, the Grand Council of the Fusengbuwa Ruling House dismissed the purported removal, describing the fact-finding committee as an unauthorised body and reaffirming its confidence in Owoyemi, Yusuf and Ajidagba.
The council also accused Adeyemi, Oduneye and others associated with the committee of acting outside the authority of the recognised organs of the family.
The breakaway faction, however, maintained that its action was based on the resolution of a general meeting attended by 115 members and insisted that it was seeking to restore due process and unity within the ruling house.
The dispute has raised fresh uncertainty over an already protracted succession process.
Awujale Stool Remains Vacant
The Awujale stool became vacant on July 13, 2025, following the death of Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona at the age of 91, after about 65 years on the throne.
The succession process has since been marked by disputes over eligibility, procedure and the authority of different stakeholders.
The Fusengbuwa Ruling House is the current house entitled to produce the Awujale under the established chieftaincy arrangement. The other ruling houses in the rotation are Fidipote, Gbelegbuwa and Anikinaiya.
The state government suspended the selection process in December 2025 and again in January 2026, citing petitions and concerns raised by stakeholders and security agencies. The suspension has remained in place pending the outcome of investigations.
In January 2026, the Fusengbuwa Ruling House conducted its nomination exercise at Bisrod Hall, producing 95 aspirants — 94 princes and one princess — for consideration for the vacant throne.
The exercise, however, became contentious after KWAM1 petitioned the Ogun State Government, alleging that he and other eligible members were unlawfully excluded from the nomination process.
He argued that the use of a “delegate card” system and the exclusion of eligible members violated the applicable chieftaincy law.
The ruling house has consistently disputed his claims, including questions surrounding his membership of the family.
With the selection process still suspended and rival factions now laying competing claims to the leadership of the Fusengbuwa Ruling House, the latest petition to Governor Abiodun has added another layer to the prolonged contest over who will eventually occupy the Awujale stool.
