By The Daily Torch Media
The Osun State Police Command has confirmed the death of a 60-year-old man following the gunfire that erupted around Governor Ademola Adeleke’s convoy shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo on Wednesday.
The development is an update to the earlier report by The Daily Torch Media on the reported attack and exchange of gunfire around the governor’s convoy in Osogbo.
The deceased, identified as Tajudeen Yusuf, a resident of the Oke-Ayepe area of Osogbo, was reportedly shot at the Ita-Olokan area of the state capital.
According to the police, the incident occurred after Governor Adeleke, accompanied by his nephew, Afrobeats star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, visited the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.
The governor had earlier received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) following his victory in the August 15, 2026 Osun State governorship election before proceeding to the monarch’s palace.
In a statement, the Osun State Police spokesperson, DSP Abiodun Ojelabi, said preliminary investigation showed that a suspected political thug identified as Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged,” allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was resisted by members of the singer’s security team.
The confrontation reportedly attracted other suspected gang members, who allegedly blocked the palace entrance and obstructed the movement of the governor’s convoy.
The security personnel eventually overpowered the suspected hoodlums, allowing the governor’s convoy to leave the area safely.
The police further said the suspected gang members later moved towards the Ayepe area and allegedly opened fire, resulting in the death of Yusuf at Ita-Olokan.
The police confirmed that a full-scale investigation had commenced into the shooting and murder.
The Police Commissioner in charge of election security, Samuel Etaifo, also assured that security resources would be deployed to apprehend those responsible for the killing.
Meanwhile, Davido had earlier clarified that the confrontation occurred outside the palace and was not directed at him or Governor Adeleke.
The latest police account, however, provides further details on the circumstances surrounding the gunfire reported in The Daily Torch Media’s earlier story.
The police investigation is ongoing as authorities move to identify and arrest those responsible for the shooting.
