By Peace Udugba I
The circumstances surrounding the death of Mr. Oluwole Gideon Akolawole at Amobi Hotel in Asaba, Delta State, have continued to raise questions following claims and counterclaims over how the incident was handled by authorities.
According to information gathered, the deceased reportedly checked into the hotel in Asaba, Delta State, alongside one Christian Chinedu Nwubi before the tragic incident occurred.
On May 8, 2026, Christian Chinedu Nwubi reportedly contacted the family of the deceased to inform them that Mr. Akolawole had been found dead in the early hours of May 7 beside the hotel’s swimming pool area.
The deceased was allegedly discovered lifeless around the poolside at about 2:30 a.m., a development that immediately raised concerns over the circumstances surrounding his death.
Later the same day, the Investigating Police Officer (IPO), Chinedu Ihenacho of B – Division Police Station, Asaba, also contacted the family and informed them to come and retrieve the remains of their relative.
When contacted by Daily Torch Media, the IPO confirmed that he personally informed the family about the incident and advised them to send representatives to collect the corpse, which had already been deposited at Nwankaego Maduemezie Memorial Medical Centre in Asaba.
According to the officer, there was no confirmed criminal case at the time of the report, adding that the hotel manager had officially reported the incident to the police.
He stated that the deceased had lodged in the hotel before he was later found lifeless near the swimming pool area.
Speaking on the matter, the IPO said preliminary observations did not immediately suggest robbery or any obvious criminal activity.
“It is not something for anybody to assume is robbery or anything. It is just normal,” the officer reportedly stated during the conversation.
He further explained that it was unusual for anyone to be around the swimming pool at such a late hour, noting that hotel safety monitoring is often limited during the night.
According to him, the hotel had safety precautions in place, including restrictions against swimming without life jackets.
“In that place, there are precautions. They don’t allow people to swim without a jacket. But this happened around 2:30 in the night. So what was the monitoring at that time?” he queried.
However, the handling of the case has continued to generate concern among observers and members of the public, especially over the absence of any arrest or detention linked to the incident.
Questions have also been raised over why the hotel remained in operation despite the suspicious nature of the death.
Some individuals familiar with the matter argued that the possibility of foul play should not be ruled out at this stage, insisting that the circumstances surrounding the incident remain unclear.
According to claims surrounding the case, there are suspicions that the deceased may have died elsewhere within the hotel premises before his body was allegedly moved to the swimming pool area.
The concerns were further heightened by claims that there were no publicly available photographs showing the deceased floating inside the pool.
“There are several possible explanations for what may have happened. Some suspect the deceased may have died in the hotel room before his body was moved to the swimming pool area,” a source familiar with the matter alleged.
Despite the growing concerns, the IPO maintained that preliminary findings did not immediately point to foul play, a position that has continued to spark debate and calls for a more thorough investigation into the incident.
On May 14, members of the deceased’s family reportedly visited the police station to meet with the IPO, as well as Mr. Christian Chinedu Nwubi, who was said to have been with the deceased before his death.
According to the family, they observed bruises on different parts of the deceased’s body, while one of his eyes was swollen.
The family further claimed that when they asked Mr. Nwubi about the deceased’s belongings, including his iPhone, which contained some of his information, he denied having knowledge of them, stating that only a smaller phone belonging to the deceased was available.
They also said that a disagreement ensued during the conversation, which nearly resulted in a physical confrontation.
THE DAILY TORCH MEDIA: INTERVIEW WITH THE FATHER OF LATE OLUWOLE GIDEON AKOLAWOLE ON HIS SON’S DEATH
In an emotional interview, the father of the late Oluwole Gideon Akolawole shared his account of the circumstances surrounding his son’s death, calling for justice and a proper investigation.
Sir, first of all, we are sorry for your loss. We appreciate you speaking with us during this difficult time.
Who are you, sir?
I am Akolawole Sunday Joseph. I am the father of Oluwole Gideon Akolawole.”
Can you tell us about your son?
“Oluwole Gideon Akolawole was my first son.
What kind of person was your son?
He was an easy-going boy—gentle, respectful, and a peacemaker.
What was his relationship with the friend he checked into the hotel with?
The boy is his friend or classmate. After he finished school, he was searching for a job in many places without success. He later started his own business, which made him travel frequently, and that was why he decided to lodge at Amobi Hotel in Asaba.
When was the last time the family spoke with him?
We always communicated. We last spoke with him about two weeks before his death. He said he would come and see his daughter.
How did the family first learn about his death?
It was his friend who lodged with him that called my son, Olumide Akolawole, to inform him.
Who contacted you first?
It was my son Olumide who first informed me.
What exactly were you told happened at the hotel?
They told us he went to the swimming pool at about 2:30 a.m. They said he entered the deep side of the pool and drowned. After that, they brought his body and placed it beside the swimming pool.
Did the explanation satisfy the family?
No. When my family members from Lagos went to collect the body, they saw injuries all over him—on his legs and both shoulders. Blood was also coming out of his body.”
I do not have the power to fight this alone. Even when my people went to the police station, they were directed to swear an affidavit that they do not want the case pursued, without being allowed to see the body first at the mortuary.
What made the family suspicious about his death?
The condition of the body made us suspicious. His body looked badly injured. There were marks all over him, and blood was coming out. It did not look ordinary to us.
Are you satisfied with the police investigation so far?
I am not satisfied at all.
Why are you not satisfied?
Because we have not gotten answers. We do not have money or power, and it feels like nobody is listening to us.
What does the family want now?
We want Nigerians and well-meaning people to help us seek justice. We have already lost our son, but we do not want this to happen to others who do not have influence or power.
Do you believe there will be further investigation?
I do not know. But one day, everyone will answer before God for whatever they do in this world.
As of the time of filing this report, authorities had yet to officially disclose the outcome of any investigative findings regarding the death of Mr. Oluwole Gideon Akolawole.
