By Peace Udugba
A teacher at Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, identified as Michael Oyedokun, has reportedly been killed by his abductors following a recent attack on schools in the area.
Oyedokun, who was among several teachers and students abducted during the invasion, was allegedly killed after a disturbing video believed to have been released by the kidnappers surfaced online on Monday.
In the footage, the victim was seen tied up and forced to speak before he was executed, a development that has sparked outrage and deepened fear across affected communities.
The incident followed the violent attack carried out on May 15 in the Ahoro-Esiele–Yawota axis of Oriire Local Government Area, where gunmen invaded Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, L.A. Primary School, Esiele, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.
During the coordinated attacks, several teachers, school staff, and students were abducted, throwing the communities into panic and mourning.
Confirming the development, the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Seyi Makinde, Dr. Suleimon Olanrewaju, said the governor had expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and reassured residents that efforts were ongoing to rescue the remaining victims.
According to Olanrewaju, the state government is deploying both military operations and intelligence-led strategies aimed at securing the safe release of those still in captivity.
He disclosed that security agencies had made progress in the investigation, with several suspects already arrested in connection with the incident.
“About six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them are suspected informants or logistics suppliers to the abductors,” he said.
He added that three other persons of interest had also been apprehended by another security agency operating in the state.
Olanrewaju further sympathised with the families of security personnel who lost their lives during rescue operations, explaining that some officers died after encountering Improvised Explosive Devices allegedly planted by the abductors. He noted that injured officers are currently receiving treatment and responding positively.
Governor Makinde also appealed to residents, religious leaders, and stakeholders to remain calm, assuring them that the government would continue efforts to rescue all abducted persons and reunite them with their families.
“So, there may not be quick fixes, but we will continue to push ourselves to the limit to resolve this quickly,” Olanrewaju quoted the governor as saying.
He confirmed that seven teachers were initially abducted during the attacks and that intelligence available to the government indicated that one of them, said to be a mathematics teacher, had been killed.
The incident has further heightened concerns over worsening insecurity in parts of Oyo State, coming only weeks after a failed kidnapping attempt along the Ibadan–Ijebu axis in which a traveller lost his life.
